Summer Term: Magnificent Machines
Magnificent Machines - Forces and Magnets.
So far we have delved into the distant past as our topics have taken us from walking with dinosaurs to ancient Rome! Now we are taking ourselves onto an action packed journey into the future where we will be learning about some of the amazing machines that have been invented and the wonderful inventors, engineers and scientists that helped design and create them. We will be using our scientific skills to explore forces and how objects move by working scientifically, doing experiments and recording our findings. So lets make a start into the future!
This half-term we will be covering these areas:
- Draw and interpret bar charts and pictograms where one square/symbol represents two units.
- Draw and interpret bar charts/tally charts where one square represents one hundred unit
- Compare and measure weights in multiples of 100g
- Know how many grams are in a kilogram; estimate and weigh objects to the nearest 100g
- Multiply numbers between 10 and 25 by 1-digit numbers using column method.
- Divide multiples of 10 by 1-digit numbers using our known tables facts
- See the relation between multiplication and division
- Begin to using chunking as as method to divide numbers with remainders.
- Add 3-digit and 2-digit numbers using mental strategies.
- Add two 3-digit numbers using mental strategies or by using column addition.
- Use reasoning, trial and improvement to solve problems involving more complex addition
In our writing time we will be exploring a variety of genres. We start the half-term looking at Balanced writing, and the features needed to write our own balanced arguments looking at the question: Should teachers be replaced by robots? We then move onto Traditional tale stories using the book 'The Firemakers Daughter' in which we will explore the events surrounding the story and the journey in which our main character Lila takes in order to get fire from Razvani the Fire-Fiend. This is where our imagination and descriptive writing will help bring these events to life and excite our reader so we will use all of our MAPSO features we have learnt so far: alliteration, onomatopoeia, simile as we add in a chapter for Lila and her friends to venture through as she makes her way to the Fire-Fiend.
In science, we will be exploring forces and motions by understanding how magnetic forces work by attracting or repelling. We will take part in a variety of experiments to understand what is attracted to magnetic force and what is repelled, through hypothesis, observations and recording our conclusions as what we have discovered. We will also have the opportunity to explore the different forces that are part of our world and what the effects of these forces are as well as how friction can effect the force given to an object.
During our art sessions, we will explore block and mono printing with a variety of colours and layering. We will explore the artist Eric Joyner whose work will help inspire us to create our own artwork.
Our next focus will be Energy in which we understand the events after Jesus resurrection and what happened next with the disciples. We will look into biblical scripture to understand the next events and Jesus Great Commission before he ascended into Heaven. This will build up to understanding the events of Pentecost, the birth of the Church and why this events was not the end of the story for Christians around the world. Our next RE focus will be Choices in which we prepare ourselves to understand the Sacrament of Reconciliation and why this is an important development in our Catholic faith as we prepare to take our first Holy Communion.